No weekend plans yet? Why don’t you start baking this delicious matcha coconut tart? In the latest edition of Hutspot Recipes, we got together with the guys from Paper & Tea who specialize in luxurious specialty tea. We spend our day making this tart and tasting the batter of course. Curious how to make it? Scroll down to get the full recipe. It’s gluten-free and vegan!
A tart pan with removable bottom
10 soft, dried dates (Medjool dates would be the best)
50g pumpkin seeds
50g sesame seeds
3 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp Paper & Tea Matcha
375g coconut yogurt
60g maple syrup
100ml coconut milk
1 pinch vanilla
Agar-Agar (enough for 500ml liquid)
Some Paper & Tea Matcha
Pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds
How to make this delicious vegan matcha coconut tart:
For the crust:
1. Brush the tart pan thoroughly first with coconut oil, then with flower and place in the fridge
2. Roast the cashews and pumpkin seeds in a pan (without oil), then blend them in a mixer
3. Roast the sesame seeds and add them to the mixture, together with the cinnamon and salt
4. Pit and mash the dates, then add them to the dry ingredients and knead everything for a few minutes (tip: add coconut oil/margarine until it forms a sticky dough).
5. Flatten the dough and push into the bottom and sides to create a crust. Leave the crust in the fridge
For the matcha-coconut filling:
1. Add 1 tbsp matcha to the coconut yogurt and stir in thoroughly, then stir in the maple syrup and vanilla. Let it chill in the fridge for a bit
2. Pour the coconut milk into a small pot, stir in the agar-agar and boil for 1 minute and keep on stirring (unless described otherwise on the packing instructions)
3. Quickly pour the mix in a mixing bowl and fold in the matcha coconut yogurt in 4 steps with a whisk
4. Fill the matcha coconut yogurt into the tart pan and spread evenly with a tablespoon and chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge
5. Just before serving, dust a bit of matcha on top and decorate with coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and a few thai basil leaves
About Paper & Tea
What makes this vegan matcha coconut tart so special? How does the Paper & Tea Matcha Tea add to the recipe?
First of all; it’s vegan, gluten-free and delicious! We think this matcha-coconut-tart is a special treat for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. Our matcha works very nice in the tart filling combined with the coconut milk and yogurt. We are seeing matcha become a popular culinary condiment for its slightly grassy and bittersweet flavor. And its visually alluring seafoam green!
Could you tell us something about how Paper & Tea ingredients are grown and selected?
We work together with small-scale tea gardens from around the world, especially those that are making a mark in tea production. Our sourcing team gathers information and tea samples and makes a selection based on flavor and quality. After this, our tea is produced and we work in-house with our teaists to come up with our own flavor compositions.